Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Touchdown

Before I begin, I need to state that the following message was written without firefox, and therefore not quite spellchecked. Maybe.

Well, I'm in Africa now. Very glad to be out of the airplane. No matter what anyone tells you, 16 hour airplane trips suck. Alot. When your butt starts hurting...yeah that is too much sitting. And trying to sleep there? Forget it! unless you are sleep deprived you'll never make it! There were perks though! Airplanes have been upgraded, so that theres a screen for every seat! And you can pick the movie you want to watch. I watched Made of Honor, the Fantastic 4, and What Happens in Vegas. There weren't any good hardcore movies btw. So it was romantic comedies or kids movies.

There was, at first, a nice african lady sitting next to me, and she gave me even more advice on how act in africa. Apparently, there's a great respect for your elders here, and in some cultures, it is rude to look at the elder's face, or make a move towards greeting him, until he makes the first move. Also, maze is apparently used in everything, and can range(based on how it prepared) from kus kus texture to a kinda riceball paste.

And then the nice lady I was talking to wanted me to switch seats with a friend of hers across the aisle, so I moved and started sitting next to a girl about my age who is going in a group. All I could find out was that they are, like me, going to be in africa for (hopefully) 9 months. Cause after the customary greetings and conversation were over, she (like anyone going wiht friends) spent the rest of the time talking with her friends.

Once I touched down, and got through the passport check, I was amazed at their strick, BRUTAL customs check. You walk to the left and they check you. You walk to the right and nothing. No forms. Just "I have nothing to declare" written on the wall and a "if you have something to declare you are committing a felony by walking here." WTH that is obnoxiously lax. Whatever, I don't mind.

After that I converted some money to rand (pronounced rend) I made a call to my guest house and waited outside for half an hour. It wasnt until I started chatting with another patient person waiting for a ridwe that I found out that they were waiting for me inside next to the information booth! Oh how embarrassing that was. But I'm here at the Doves Nest now, thankfully, and all that is left is to finish this post. Which I guess it is, go figure.

Oh one thing I forgot. Almost everyone here speaks english, but I have some trouble understanding their accent.

4 comments:

mediumbill said...

You asked for a comment...

Well here it is,

"Comment"

Love dad

P.S. Glad to see you arrive safe and sound.

Chris said...

Hey Willy! What's going on? That's right, I called you Willy. What are you going to do about it from all the way over there?... Just so you know I will be thinking about you whenever I eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, or anything that involves peanut butter. I'll be thinking "I feel so sorry for those poor people over in Africa that have to deal with Billy now that he's gone". Seriously though, it's good to hear you got over there in one piece. Keep us updated!

Unknown said...

Pictures . . . you'd said there would be pictures.

Oh, yeah, we added a hot-tub in the back of the store, sorry you're not here to use it. Love, R&E

Malawi Mom said...

Hey, Chris! I'm glad to see an 8,000 mile separation will not cause you to go all soft on Willy. Er, Billy.