Monday, September 22, 2008

Car trouble

Thought this post would be late because the entire internet in Blantyre is out. Shot. Gone. Kaput. Turns out it came on five minutes ago. So I'm posting now

Today started out normal, kinda thought it would be a nondescript day, one where I might have to pull out one of the fun facts that I’ve been storing up. Little tidbits to fill in the blog for days where I can only say “normal day, few kids…etc…” But too bad, today turned out to be interesting after all. Tough nuts for you, you get an interesting story instead.

Because I was up till eleven last night writing, I was very, very brain-dead this morning. No matter though, I got up at five without too much trouble, and my mosquito net lasted the night this time! So I left with Leslie this time, to wherever we were going…I have no idea what it’s called actually, at this stage I don’t really need to know. So anyway, we picked up one of our nurses, Candace, and are going back for Lauren (another nurse) when we get a phone call. Turns out, the Land Rover (one of our many trucks) broke down, and they needed help. So we drove over, and tried many, many things to get it out of the middle of the road. We broke a piece of rope trying to tow it for one thing. Got a pic of that, before the rope broke. Eventually the Rover crawled its way over the top, and we decided to leave it by the nearby police station, and just send two people back to pick up another vehicle. Total time wasted: about one hour. After that, we continued our drive to today’s site. And man let me tell you, Victor (one of the two locals on the stool study) got skills! He was really booking it down those roads, a good 90-100 km/hr. And considering how many pedestrians there are, that takes real skill! Or at least, he was booking it until we hit such a heavy layer of fog that everything 10 feet in front of you was completely obscured. And after that iunno, ‘cause Willie and I fell asleep, which in retrospect is pretty amazing, because those roads are ALMOST as bad a Pennsylvania roads.

So anyway we got there and it was pretty much business as usual. Read card. Give Chiponde. Repeat. I got to talk to a couple of the HSA’s (Health Service Assistant) though. (They are our local hired help, helping us fill out forms with the locals, many of whom can’t read, and more importantly, they speak the local language AND English.) Not much other than that though. Then we drove home.

After dropping off the nurses, Leslie and I picked up all the empty Chiponde bottles we had been storing at the factory and took them to the cleaning facility. (We reuse cleaned bottles for various reasons.) Then went back to the factory to get more Chiponde. And after that we took a trip to the internet café. Where we found the internet dead. Yay!

After that we went home and I killed time with The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. (Will I ever finish a book?) When I got partway into that I stopped by the Downhouse and got to say hi to Amy, our manager, and the person who supplies our funds. She is the person that I lugged the care package (movies and perfume) in my luggage over for. I listened to Joy and Leslie talk to her about finance for twenty minutes simple because I had nothing better to do.

It was six to seven by the time the stool study group got back, which is obscene, considering that even with everything that we did after the 10-25 chiponde, we still got back at four. Stool study’s hours really need to be cut back. Something that will be hit up on later.

After that, we (FINALLY!!!) got our dinner. Sarah, in addition to the usual eggs and rice, included a new dish. Its peanut flour stuff with “potatoes and goodness” as Willie said. Following this new fantastical dish (an adjective that can describe everything Sarah cooks) we (they) talked about logistics of the stool study. I just kinda read Hitchhiker’s Guide because I haven’t been involved with stool study yet. But it seems that I will be! After they talked a couple details out, the topic turned to the problem of no one staying with stool study for any length of time, (Joy and Leslie are decidedly 10-25) and lookie! Here is a spare high school student that is here for three (to nine) months! So tomorrow I’m gonna trade with Shandie and I’ll learn the ropes of the stool. Everyone who is laughing at me now…I’m sure I know where most of you live…so watch yourselves…

7 comments:

mediumbill said...

Did I read this correctly, You the computerscience wizis going to work with sh&^t? Are you now a pooper scooper?

- medium bill

Anonymous said...

So, Bill, last night I'm going to bed around 11:30 and kiddingly said "good night, Billy" to your picture. Uncle Dennis says, "Are you kidding? It's 4:30 for Billy and he's getting up--forget the good night stuff!"

Love, Aunt Jo and GOOD NIGHT!

Nin said...

I'm having so much fun reading your blogs - your typical day sounds tiring...and waking up at 5am! Pretty amazing.

Mosquito netting are not much fun and I never cared for them; however, they beat the alternative: being covered from head to toe with bites!! Sounds like you're getting the hang of dealing with it.

Gotta get Becca & Daniel reading this...they're kinda swamped these days with hw & band - you know, stuff you did last year. Maybe this weekend...

Love, Aunt Su-Nin

Media Mystic said...

Fun fact! Some scientists call poop "scat" Thought you'd like to know since you'll be making a study of it! *snickers* -Jimmy

Anonymous said...

lol can't wait to read more about your new assignment.. but you have time to read! I actually had no idea Forrest Gump was a book and as I enjoyed the movie I guess I'll give it a try after finishing The Witching Hour by Anne Rice. All 996 pages! Which is a lot for me since I'm supposed to be reading stuff for school, thank goodness we're done with the Iliad at least :p Would like to hear about Hitchhiker's Guide as well since that's also something I feel like I should read someday... might you have the time/capabBILity to email just since this has nothing to do with your grand-goings on in Africa :p sorry for the randomness. A relevant comment then: if not too awkward consider taking pictures of the food I'm curious to know what it looks like! Sarah is a fellow volunteer who happens to be skilled at cooking with local materials? You're blogs thus far have been ultra intriguing! LOVE boo

Malawi Mom said...

Hey, Becca:

They actually have a cook for the house. Since they are away for such long days I think it would be hard for them to cook. Plus, from what I hear, there's no telling when the electricity will be out.

Gotta go. Uncle Bill wants the computer.

Aunt Ann

Anonymous said...

Oh that makes sense their days are ultra long! Thanks for the info Aunt Ann <3 Boo