Wednesday, September 17, 2008

AwayInMalawi

Yes I know the title isn't very interesting. You'll live though. First things first, apparently this computer is german, because I got this error message from Gmail, proving that some people still have a sense of humor.

We can't provide service under the Gmail name in Germany; we're called Google Mail here instead.

If you're travelling in Germany, you can access your mail at http://mail.google.com.

Oh, and we'd like to link the URL above, but we're not allowed to do that either. Drat.

For general information about Google, please visit www.google.com or www.google.de.

Funny eh?

So I arrived today, had to wake myself up at 8, which was interesting...considering that it was 5 o'clock in my biological clock when I had to lay meself down to rest. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I came to the doves nest dinner area around 9, and it was actually past the dinner time, but they still served me! Nice people. This morning I came too late for breakfast but the lady insisted on giving me some yogurt to go. Vurry nice people. So after I worked out how to get them to bill Dr Manary, (I sure as hell didn't have 400+ rand, about 60$, well I had the 60$ but it was USD) we left and I got on my plane to Blantyre. Uneventful plane ride.

First thing that happened in Blantyre was the official inspecting my passport, after I said that I was staying for 3 months, mumbled something about "one month!" Yup. I'm getting that sorted out ASAP. Afterwards my driver, who is actually the guy running the chiponde plant, picked me out of the crowd! He didn't have a sign or anything, but just asked me, "are you Billy?" Apparently he has done this oodles of time and with just an age group he can guess who I am based of of my looks and the fact that I look like I am looking for a sign. Impressive eh?

The second thing that strikes me is the massive poverty here. Along the main road are tons of houses that you would picture seeing a homeless residing in in the states. I mean, quite a few have the body made of brick or clay, but windows are few and far between and the roofs are quite shoddy. Also, people walk everywhere, and the streets are thronged with them. And horns are used ALL THE TIME. He explained it to me as, you are supposed to use the horn, to warn the people that you are coming. If you hit someone without using the horn, they'd say something like, "Is your horn broken?" But If you hit ("or kill") someone but use it,they'd say, "At least he used is horn." Weiiiird. But I guess I'll get used to it.

So noone was at the house today, they were all going overnight to...let me see...Namandaje. Too far away to do in a day. Actually, they only figured out I was arriving today yesterday, they thought I was coming on Thursday! Wouldn't that have been interesting...but its all good because I got picked up in the end. Also, they sent back someone who wasn't essential to what they were doing in Namandje. He's roommate actually! He's pretty cool, about 25, another med student. When he got here he showed me around the three houses, lower house, middle house (m'ouse) and upper house. The lower is storage, upper is where the girls and the food are, go figure, and the mouse is for the males. We ate the food prepared by out housekeeper and chef. Lentils, a salad, and some rice. All very good I might add. Even the lentils were tasty! She, by the way, showed me around a little too, and gave me my keys and my cell phone.

SO anyway, thats probably a little much for one day. See you soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Billy,

This is your mother's cousin Aggie. You may recall I visited you guys a few years ago with my husband Steve and my kids Stephen and Dan.

Your cousins (that's us!) are super proud of what you are doing in Africa!!

In his sophmore year at Carnegie-Mellon University, my husband Steve took a life-altering Christian missions trip to Kenya. Young Steve raised money for his airfare and lodging himself. The trip was life-altering because he met and stayed with an African family (a father, mother, and two sons) and became fast friends with the son named Ben who was close in age to Steve.

In a touching conversation that Steve would recount to me years later with a tear in his eye, Ben's father had asked Steve to pray and care for Ben, should their paths cross again. Ben's father believed Ben was special in some way but God had yet to reveal His plan for young Ben.

Before leaving Kenya, Steve gave Ben his camera. The idea was that Ben could learn photography and possibly even make a living at it, when times were tough for him.

Decades passed. Steve heard from Ben a few times, including when Ben married his wife Mary, which was special indeed.

One day, Aggie answered the phone and heard a very enthusiastic voice on the other end! Ben also has a very pleasant accent ... so it took me a few minutes to adjust.

Eventually, I knew EXACTLY which Ben I was talking to and Ben knew he had FINALLY reached his American brother, Steve, from long-ago. Ben wept with happiness...he had called many U.S. phone directory listings trying to locate my husband before reaching our home.

Ben had important news to share with Steve: He is a bishop now serving about 8 churches and several orphanages, with yet another orphanage being built as we speak.

During the Kenyan elections Ben (having mastered photography and digital media) filmed a message of peace for the Kenyan people.

You might try viewing it sometime:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kZucf-rLe8E

Will write again soon.

Meanwhile, may the Lord bless you and keep you. May He make His Face Shine Upon You. May He Grant You his Peace.

Much love,

Aggie & company

Anonymous said...

Bill, your blog continues to be great--informative yet witty! We can't wait to see pictures of where you are and to hear exactly what your "job" entails. I really like you're giving us the names of the folks you're living with so we can start putting everything together. How is the weather--is it as hot as you were worried about?

I'll want to read about slang words you start hearing there.

Is the computer handy for you to use to keep your blog going?

Anonymous said...

Bill, your blog continues to be great--informative yet witty! We can't wait to see pictures of where you are and to hear exactly what your "job" entails. I really like you're giving us the names of the folks you're living with so we can start putting everything together. How is the weather--is it as hot as you were worried about?

I'll want to read about slang words you start hearing there.

Is the computer handy for you to use to keep your blog going?


OK, it's 1:30 in the morning for you so sleep tight.

Love, Aunt Jo

Unknown said...

Hey, where are the dang pictures?

Are you REALLY in Africa?!

Oh, yeah, btw, we put a big plasma TV, next to the hot-tub in the back of the store. It arrived just after you left . . . sadness.

Love,

R&E

Anonymous said...

I had lentils for dinner too!
I'm living the 1692 Salem Puritan life up in Towson.

I am glad you got picked up and not left at the airport. Being lost in a foreign country seems like it might not return you in a favorable condition. And the bookstore is just not the same without Billy.

Anonymous said...

Billy, Uncle Dennis writing to you. I read your first several blogs and I feel that I am getting the opportunity to experience Africa with you as you begin your most incredible life's adventure. I am looking forward to reading your descriptions of life in Malawi, and to sharing your impressions as you go about fulfilling your mission of truly helping your fellow man. I can't tell you how extremely proud Aunt Mary Jo and I are of you, and how we will eagerly look forward to each installment of your blog. We love you very much. One final note, I want to tell you that I find your writing style to be quite observant of your surrounding circumstsnces, wry, and eminently readable. Talk to you again soon. Love, Uncle Dennis.

Anonymous said...

Keep the reports coming. I love to hear from you. We are all on the edge of our seats.

Pictures, Pictures? Where are the pictures?

-love Dad