Thursday, September 18, 2008

First (work) Day

Well, wasn’t the picture debacle yesterday interesting? No, I haven’t gotten to fixing it yet, but I’m going to attempt fixing it after I finish writing this entry. Oh yeah, and I’ll also do my best to put the “, ”, ‘, and ! back where they belong.

The following, minus minor details, will probably be a good example of what my weekdays will be like for the foreseeable future.

So today was a busy day, up at four, out the door by 5. And for your information, you skeptics who know me too well, I was the FIRST one up. So after I ate some brekkist and did a couple sudoku, it was out to pack the truck for the day. We have to make sure it is full of the 10% and 25% chiponde, as well as the Soya. So when we left we stopped by the factory to get some more 25%, and also picked up two nurses…whose names are…wait…damnit…I tried so hard to remember them today…one starts with a C…whatever I'll figure them out later...After that it was a good hour or so until we got to…let me check…Mayaka. On the way my senior filled me in on many things. Like my job for today. And how Unqualified Palin is. And Lots of other things. You find things to talk about in a two hour car ride.

So anyway here’s my job. First things first, I need to make a clarification clear. Project Peanut Butter’s goal is not mainly to treat child malnutrition in Malawi. It’s simply not possible for a group as small as ours to make as large a difference as we would need to. Let me clarify. For example, today in Mayaka, population 57000, there are 14 Chiponde sites other than the ones we run. These are run by the CTC, a government run program. The blue sites I mentioned yesterday are sites that we now simply supply the Chiponde to, and they distribute it themselves. (The Chiponde designs were written up by a former volunteer here and sold to the government. The guy who sold them may or may not be profiting from that. Relations aren’t the best between him and PPB.) CTC makes its own Chiponde, and supplies it as well. Project Peanut Butter runs 14 sites altogether. In total. So we could not even run Mayaka completely on our own. Our main goals are determining whether the 10% is as effective as the 25%, which would allow production world-wide to be run more cheaply, and to see whether the Soya Chiponde is effective in treating moderate malnutrition. Dr Manary is attending a malnutrition council thing, group, get together, whatever it’s called, of malnutrition experts world wide to try to decide upon a treatment of moderate malnutrition.

So the 10% Vs 25% study is a double blind study, meaning that neither those receiving the peanut butter, nor those assigning who gets what know which version of the Chiponde they are getting. So basically, a nurse writes a random letter, A-F, drawn from a box, on every child’s “card.” (Cards record data such as height, target weight, weight, etc.) 3 of the letters correspond to the type 1, (25%) and 3 to type 2. (10%) So I read their cards, and depending on their weight, whether they are only moderately malnourished or seriously malnourished, (Moderates get Soya) and the letter, I give them a certain amount of the specified type of chiponde. Graduates (those who are now healthy) receive 3 bottles, a kilo of beans, and a gargantuan bar of soap.

We had a huge number of people today. Women and babies lined(nor really, more like clumped together) up as far as the eye could see. Ok so they only filled up the yard but there were still a helluva lot of them. You have never heard such a wailing and gnashing of gums.

Long day too. It was 7-1 just handing out the Chiponde, with a couple long (ten minutes to an hour) breaks in between mobs of people. I say mobs, because they never came alone. I always had either a line of 5-6 people or none. Wasn’t as hot as I feared though.

So anyway, afterwards we picked up some benches we had ordered from a local carpenter that we will soon make into bookshelves. And after that we went home. Oh and I really need to learn some Chichewa. All I know right now is Zikomo (Thank you) Madzi. (very much)

Oh and my parents are jerks. JERKS I SAY. They sent me letters. Tons of letters. Letters for every Saturday between now and January 31. YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS!?!?!?! I have two options. Open all of the letters at once and feel guilty, and regretful for the rest of my stay. Or suffer, SUFFER as I wait to find out what is written in the next one. Actually I haven’t even opened the first one yet but there’s something in it I know because its fat and has a lump and it might not be so bad after I figure out what the lump is but the jerks didntevensendmealetterforwhenIgotherethefirstisforSaturday…JERKS…Thanks…jerks…

13 comments:

mediumbill said...

Yes, It is our jobs in life to make your life miserable.

- love dad (one of the JERKS)

Malawi Mom said...

OK, I want to make one thing PERFECTLY clear … your dad does NOT get to make any claims on jerk-hood! JERK is MY title, pure and simple. He had NOTHING to do with those cards or the contents … which you will LOVE! (I want an updated comment on this tomorrow, bud! Want to know what you say after you open the first card.)

Sorry that there wasn't one for the day you arrived. I really thought I did have one in there for that day.

Well, it's 8:30 and we haven't had dinner yet, so I gotta run. Enjoying the posts, thoroughly. As are all my friends. I'm still trying to find that one homeless person in Calvert County that I haven't given the URL to. I'll find him yet.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Bill. Happy Saturday--do you work on the week-ends? Hope you have time to get the pictures attached to your blog so we can see what it looks like where you are. Blogs continue to be great--thanks a lot for your efforts.

Love, Aunt Jo

Unknown said...

Boy, were those pictures great!

Keep 'em coming!

el flippo micko said...

Hey Billy-

FIRST OF ALL, let me focus on ME ('cause clearly you aren't doing ANYTHING important with your life and time:-)): Mr James AND Mr McGowan's ICONS classes will be reading the HECK out of this!!! So, nuff said on that!! :-)

I actually think my aunt Linda, whom you met at Church the other day, will like to read these posts too- I'll just have to help her at first.

As for your posts: VERY inspiring!! And I will keep looking forward to them.

Best to you and yours (which by now include some very extended family in Malawi, I bet), and ditto on the safe sentiment that many have been offering!

Peace
McG

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to leave a comment so you know some of us back home are reading and enjoying your blog. Good luck and keep us up to date with how you are doing.

Cheryl Eason
(Andrew and Chris' Mom)

Anonymous said...

Another anonymous post, this one from an old Band Mommy, Mama Connelly (Shannon's mom) from CHS and HHS. You may or may not remember who I am but I wanted you to know that I was one of the homeless Calvert Co folks that got the URL address from your parents!

Just wanted you to know that I was reading your blog regularly and am amazed to see what you and others are undertaking in Malawi. You do your hometown and your family proud!

I'll drop in from time to time; just wanted you to know how proud we are of your efforts.

Adele Connelly

tegethoff la familia said...

Billy,

We think it is wonderful what you are doing and are very proud of you. Take care and be safe.
love, A. MJ & U. Rich

BILLY!!
WOW it is amazing that you are helping people that cant help themselves. i hope someday i can do something that great for outhers=)
love,
michelle

Anonymous said...

Hi Billy,

I was surprised to hear where you are cause I thought you'd be away at college somewhere.
Way to go! What got you interested in doing this?
Stay safe n God bless.

Mrs. Evartt

Malawi Mom said...

Still waiting for a retraction of the JERK comment! You liked the big lump in the card, did you not??

Malawi Mom said...

Just thought I'd let you know I'm making my oatmeal this morning ... and I'm using the SAME gallon of milk that was in the fridge on Monday when you left!

Just thought I'd earn my name!

- Jerk #1 (aka Momlet)

Anonymous said...

Hi Billy, I work with your mom...I am as proud of you as she is. I can't see any pictures; did you really send them or is that a joke. I am completely computer illerate and have no idea how to do this but maybe you can offer suggestions. So far what you are doing is remarkable but I dont get the stuff you are delivering. I thought they only made peanut butter stuff for the hungry, but your mom says you do triage for the people in the villages. WOW... Do you see any animals like I see on Nat Geo? or are they too far away from your area? Keep blogging....Your mom is a hoot and we all love her. Love and best KARMA to you..Cathy Burge

Anonymous said...

Hey Billy! This is so cool that you got to go to Africa to do something so great! It means a lot to me that you're out there helping these people...Me and my sister were just looking up organizations for us to join so we can help out to. I hope that your having fun over there and learning lots of stuff about the people in that country! I can't wait to hear about all the stuff you're doing over there. well have fun and be safe!!!!

Ciotti