Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tired. This be quick. maybe.

Yeah yeah I miss the first updaqte after I post a "schedule," what did you expect from me?

Ok, as the title suggests, its 9 oclock, and my sleep meds are kicking in hard. So this will either be short, or a little funky, we see what I decide as I write.

Went driving after my post two nights ago. Freaky this are as follows: Trucks are powerful, and have more kick than I'm used to. Circles, they creep up on you without warning. Figgering the distance on the left side of the car from the right is hard. But I'm in (mostly) one peice, so I did OK at least.

So anyway, I went home, we fixed the light, and got to bed at 11, (WAY TOO FREAKING LATE) but somehow I got up this morning.

Then, since we have a new driver, Gerald, we had 5 people in the car. Leslie and Gerald in front, and me crammed in the back. (Two big nurses cramming me against the wall) Somehow I managed to sleep, not sure how. Once we got there, I showed Gerald how to give the chiponde out. He is very meticulous. Overall he does everything right, he just has trouble with the cards from kids that became healthy. Way too lazy (tired) too explain.

So anyway, I slept in the Stool study car for two hours while Leslie and Gerald went too look for defaulters, and then Victor, and the nurse for stool study(can't remember what I named her) and I went to look for a defaulter of our own. To do so we went all over the mountains. One time this funny guy stopped our car and was like (in chichewa) "Follow me", and insisted on running inn front of us. So funny!

Then, eventually, omitting many details for times sake, we got to this clearing while we waited for the mom. While we were waiting this kid bounds up a tree at a height that would make a Bevard blanch and knocked down some mangoes for us. After we cleared up the defaulter we went to find, he brought a bowl full of the fruits he just risked life and limb to get and gives them to us, then he asks for 50 Kwatcha. (For anyone who doesn't get the extange rate, its 1 USD to 170 K, so 50 K is like 30 cents) Someone started to haggle but I was thinking "Bull, all he wants is 50? and handed it over.

After that we dropped off our hsa and headed home. One quick thing that should probably go to a day when I have nothing to say, but something struck me when we were on the way home, and I saw two sets of goals made by three sticks each. My dad and I used to have talks about why soccer was so pervasive everywhere in the world. (He would eventually get to what soccer would have to change to cater to American tastes, while my answer was that they didn't give a flying...well I should probably omit that...) I understand now. Soccer is so pervasive because anyone can play it anywhere. Think about it, what do you need to play "real" baseball? A baseball bat, gloves, and oodles of balls if you have a tendency to lose them. In a country where most don't have enough to afford enough food how are they going to afford that? For soccer all you need is a ball, doesn't even have to be a soccer ball, a field, and sticks to mark your goal. Football, there are so many rules, plays, and other things to memorize, how is a young boy going to remember them all? Soccer is as easy as this: Here ball. There goal. Make ball go in goal. Soccer is so pervasive because its so easy go get, and because its easy (or hard) enough for anyone to have fun playing it. And unless you have as many resources as we do in America, many sports simply aren't feasible.

So anyway, back to bizness. We drove home, this time in the stool study car (THANK GODs!!!!) and I was talking to them the whole way home. In fact one time I mentioned when I'm coming home...oh god I need to preface this too don't I? I am staying a minimum of three months and then I re-evaluate. Then I maybe stay another three. Repeat. To maybe as total of nine. Victor's reaction was I have to stay a minimum of nine. =) So I'm doing a random poll thing, when do you think I should come home, 3 months, 6, or 9? (Sorry Dad, today isn't one of the options.)

We got home late, and then I pretty much ate and hit the hay. Nothing much to comment on that.

Oh yeah, and our faster net is set up. FANTASTIC!!!

Woke up the next day (we got to leave at 7! WOOHOOO!!!!) Slept on the way to the site. Then I taught Gerald some more. He learns pretty quickly. And he puts up with me talking to fact. But anyway I spare you the boring details, but he'll be ready by Friday if we decide to hire him.

Today's site was at a school, and since there Azungu (White people!) there after clinic was over about 20-40 kids crowded around me. Its hard to talk to them, but I learned (and promptly forgot) hot to say "what's your name?" That went over real well with the kids. In fact there was a group of three little girls that would giggle whenever I looked at them, and one little girl who would follow me where ever I went. Cuute! But anyway, we had few defaulters, so all we had to do was take a mother and sick child to the hospital. But since we didn't have space, into the trunk I went! When we were driving away all of the little kids ran after the truck, waving at (I assume because I was the only one visible, and whenever I waved back they increased the waving motion) me. Real freaking bumpy, I was so glad when we got to the hospital, and I got out.

Then we switched up some cars to a random professor lady could go home more quickly, and we picked up some liquid nitrogen in one of our canisters, and then headed home. (what we were switching cars so she wouldn't have to waste her time waiting for)

Once we got home Joy and I dropped a car off at the mechanic. I was driving the car to go, and he was driving the car we would ride home in. I got kinda freaked out because after a really dense intersection there were 5 cars between me and Joy, who was showing me the way. But somehow we made it. Then we ransacked about 7 shops and eventually managed to find an adaptor for our fridge, which didn't have one, and a couple fuses. I think all the cheeze and meat went bad anyway though. Meh. I'll live without for a day.

By the way, I finally won over the Ceaser! She's the compound dog, a young puppy, and I think she gets hit a lot. By guys. So I was working uphill trying to get her to like me. Every sharp move would send her flying. But finally, finally, I got her, not only to wag when I petted her, but to show me her belly too! VICTORAAAAAAY!!!!!!! So yeah, Ive got a furry friend. Maybe I should buy a doggie toy so she doesn't gnaw on my hand so much. =)

Joy left, and Leslie and I watched the first 40 minutes of the debates to catch up with what Joy saw. I think we'll have all of them by Thursday. We ate. Good food, as usual. As I write this Joy is playing the guitar and singing. My only reaction. HOLY CRAP. HE'S VURRY VURRY GOOD. HE CAN SING AND PLAY. WELL. I could sit here all night typing and listening to him, but tomorrows a busy day.

TTYL
---The one who smacks his head into too many things =/

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the image in my head of the kids chasing you in the car and Ms Joy singing. In the movie in my mind there is a fire or you are in a tent like in MASH- I am sure the reality is nothing like that. The biggest lesson you are learning is alegria in the moment. Keep on posting we are watching.
-Aunt Pam

Malawi Mom said...

Is your 3-6-9 month poll for your Loyal Readership to vote on? If yes, my vote is NINE months! I miss you but you are having such a cool experience and you may never have an opportunity like this again. CARPE DIEM - 270 times!

What is a defaulter? You keep talking about them and I have no bloody idea what it means.

Interesting commentary on the popularity of soccer – or FOOTBALL to the rest of the world! I think you make a very good point about the simplicity of rules and equipment.

So, what – you get to just hang out and sleep while everyone else WORKS until you have a baby that needs to poop? Sweet deal.

You do have me freaking out a bit about the vehicles, though! Riding in the TRUNK? I'm in "mostly one piece?" Some things a mother does not need to hear!

You're watching the debates. I hope that means you took care of sending in the application for an absentee ballot. You know Grandma K, the judge of elections, would NOT approve if you skipped out on your first presidential election.

Well, this comment is long enough. Oh, I think it's very cool that you're already training hte new guy!

Love you!

Momlet

Kathleen said...

Having no pony in this race, I vote with Mom. I think you should stay the entire 9 months. Sorry, Dad!

Mrs. Campbell

mediumbill said...

9 Months!!!!

I guess I will have to rent out your room. After the Hazmat team is finished.

Dad

Nin said...

It appears the consensus is 9 months...that's my vote anyway! Ditto on the 'momlet' - you're experiencing so much and so wonderful and different to what you know - go for the gusto!!

I'm enjoying your posts tremendously and glad that I can, in some vicarious way, experience a bit of what you're living. Blogs are an amazing techie development.

Thank you for sharing. I can almost hear your voice as I read your posts...kinda cool.

Love ya!! Aunt Su-Nin

Malawi Mom said...

Comment for Adele (and other Loyal Readers who might have thought of sending a care package for Billy):

We talked with Dr. Manary (who runs Project Peanut Butter) and he said we should absolutely NOT consider mailing packages to Billy. Apparently countries have to pay into the international mail delivery system and many third world countries simply cannot pay for months at a time. He said it can take 6 - 12 months for a snail mail package to be delivered!

We have also looked into sending via UPS ... the cost for a 10 lb package, measuring 12" x 12" x 12" would be FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!

So our only real option is to send one or two small things along with the next PPB volunteer who's going to Malawi, like someone did with Billy. Luggage is limited to two 50 lb suitcases, so you can't send much.

So, Adele, it was really sweet of you to think of sending something to Billy but it really can't be done.

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying keeping up with what you are doing. What an amazing experience for you! The kids have been reading too (your new found cousins).Keep up the good work and STAY SAFE.
Aunt Lynn in Texas

Anonymous said...

I loved your thoughts on creation and God but didn't we leave out the element of love.. If we live to avoid reprisals or gain rewards only, I think we miss the point. Your ideas on where rapists and murders should go seem right but could they consider that heaven. Also with regards to your accident, where are the lawyers shouldn't that car owner be able to sue a rich white boy like you?? And another thing, shouldn't there be points on your license and shouldn't your insurance premiums go up? Ok enough wisecracks. I'm glad you weren't hurt. DID you find your keys??? Keep writing we are reading and we are sure you were born under a star to have such incredible luck.
Cathy B,