Sunday, September 21, 2008

One day late (O.M.G.)

Well lookie here. I didn’t post for a day. Let. It. Go. (This is not intended to anyone except those who sent me comments or emails expressing a consternation that I might, *gasp* not be able to post every single day…Mom…Dad…) So anyway, I’ve had a busy but nice weekend. Woke up to a ramen breakfast on Saturday. Say what you will that non-nutritional crap is good! So anyway. Wandered around because I was bored. Read most of Forrest Gump. Seriously, good book. Everyone who is reading this should, in turn, read it. Bevard twin #1, you’re excused on account of being illiterate. (Or close enough, when was the last time you read a book?)

So anyway, eventually I ended up in the Downhouse. If I haven’t explained this yet, The Downhouse is our storage area, the Uphouse is the girl’s dorm, and where most of the food and books are. The Mouse is our newest acquisition, and where the guys bunk for the night. Because its so new, it is pretty stark, and Joy (a guy, believe it or not) and I will probably dedicate some time over the next couple weeks to making it “home.”

So anyway, off topic. In the Downhouse we spent a good 2 hours or so responding to one of the Doctor’s emails. He sends us this email, “I need the data from these cards...and then lists about 50-75 cards to find in an old project. So we spend about one hour finding the cards…because they are strewn throughout the files, and another hour entering them. Meeeeeh. About 5 cards were completely empty, and a bunch of the data he was asking for were very easy to find the errors. The data not there. Funfun. From now on I’m going to double check the cards before I give the chiponde so we don’t have that issue.

After that we spent a LONG time reorganizing the Downhouse. The desks got pushed together, we put the new shelves in (It’s actually ingenious, order a bunch of benches, and stack them! It makes very good, portable shelves!) and moved the binder shelves. I may show you a picture later. OH YEAH! On the picture subject, I don’t think the connection here is fast enough to upload pics, so it’ll have to wait till later. I spent a long time organizing our computer equipment too. Useless, Useful, wiring, packing…etc.

Then…we switched the fridges…me ‘n Joy grabbed the new fridge in the Downhouse and dragged it ALL the way up to the Mouse, and vice versa with the old one in the Mouse. PAIN. MUCH PAIN! And after that we tore the plug…pushed the fridge too far and *pop* it goes. And since I think (based of my “majoring in computer science”) I’m being trained to be a electrician of sorts here, me and Leslie (The other Med student staying for a year along with Joy, Willie and Shandie are leaving Thursday) spent a little while figgering how to put it back together. After that we doused a couple bugnets in mosquitoicide. Which reminds me, I’ve been pulling my bugnet down in my sleep. Putting it back up requires me to be conscious, so all in all between waking up and falling asleep it cuts half an hour into my sleep.

Following this, the last of our chores, we went and got our next week’s worth of chiponde. Don’t have enough of one kind though, we will probably have to go back to get more. Turns out though, that with the way we reorganized this place, we can stack more than we’d need for a week! And not having to go back to the factory is fantastic!

So anyway, after that, we went to this awesome place called Macky’s, which basically is a B&B, with the most amazing ambiance. (Jazz background, great scenery, and AWESOME FOOD. I had the Mongolian Beef.) We had dinner, and sat around and talked. For about two hours. It was fantastic. Bats flying above, great temperature, and near the end a Rastafarian guitarist came in and started playing some awesome music. (I have a pic of him. Again, later.) I think that Leslie’s toast sums it up best. “To a perfect night.

And afterwards we went right home and collapsed. SO THERE. Off my case you fools!

And today, we did more of the same chorewise. We woke up, more arranging of the Downhouse, though not even near as much as yesterday. Actually I finished two projects today. I took apart the gal’s broken water boiler, put it back together again (I lost a little plastic thingy…I don’t think it matters…) and changed the plug and VOILA! It works. I’m starting to feel a little more self confident about this whole electrician thing. Grandpa would be proud. (He fixed broken stuff all the time. At one point he had seven working TV’s! And I don’t think he even bought any of ‘em!) After that me n Leslie switched a broken wall socket. Last electrical job left is to replace a dangly light bulb socket thing.

Newayz, after that we drove to a “Reggae” concert. Explanation. Thirty minutes of waiting, followed by forty-five minutes of a seven piece boys band, with thirty more minutes of waiting, and finally, forty minutes of “Reggae”. Except it wasn’t. It was high speed Creole rap. With dancing. Whaaaaatever. He wasn’t that bad. And it was quite an experience.

Afterwards we met back up with Shandie and Willie, who had been to Mount Mulanje. We met up at a restaurant called Ali Baba’s. Again, food fantastic. I had the Chicken Tandori, and my nose started running halfway through my meal. Now that’s what I call Spicay!

And then we went home. End of story.

Oh yeah, I’m reading a fantastic novel called Dr Norrel and Mr. Strange. Pretty good book. Weird thing is, it’s the authors first book. And its good. And its 800 pages. How do you start with that?!

4 comments:

Malawi Mom said...

OK, enough of this lumping me in with your dad all the time. He gets the credit for the cool stuff I do and I get lumped in with his being a nudge. To wit:

1. **I** sent the batch of cards with the little gift-y for each week.

2. **Dad** was bugging you about posting every day.

Distinguish, Bill, distinguish. We are not the same person!

Unknown said...

Word to the wise:

I used to work in restaurants . . . yeah, the spicy dishes are the ones get the oldest, most questionable cuts of meat.

If you like spicy, order something more bland, then hoof it over to the condiment counter and have a party with the spice rack.

Anonymous said...

I'm still reading away! Can't wait to see those pictures so I can find out how accurately my imagination is responding to your excellent descriptions :) You're packing in such an experience I'm glad I get to observe through the blog <3 BOO

Anonymous said...

Oh also meant to add I'm impressed with your handy-man skills I had no idea! AND what did your mom stuff those cards with? I wanna know :) <3 BOO