Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Normal-ish day 2

Well today was pretty normal. Woke up early. Got to site. Kids were there. All of them. Seems to be going well. The car we rode home in yesterday (from Icon) had its breaks die, so we got home with the parking break. Whatever, there isn't that much to say...so without further ado...

About Malawi 2

I was going to give an explanation about what third world country really means, but I'll have to save that for later. Today I will answer Ulf's questions about the roads.

The roads here are craptastic. I'm not sure if I said this before, but rods range from paved to really crappy dirt roads. Every day we start off on the Tarmac or another major road, well paved, and in forty five minutes to an hour we are on the crappiest roads you can imagine. There may be street lights, but they are only followed if you want to, as there is no workable police force. (The police cant afford to have cars)

There are pedestrians EVERYHWERE. And TONS of cyclists, which is almost comforting as only the rich can afford them, (A lot of rich people?) but depressing becuase only the rich can afford them. (Bike = rich?) And none of them have the fear of god in them. They seem to treat cars with a kind of indifference, and do the STUPIDIST things. Like run right out in front of the car. Or swerve into the middle of the road. Really the pedestrians freak me the hell out. On the other hand, there isn't any stigma against cyclists here like there is in the states. (In this I refer to the fact that on my bike I have had cars honk at me as if they are trying to make me fall off, been sworn at, flicked off, had full soda cans thrown at me, and in one instance a motorcyclist tried to push me off my bike. Jackasses...) The horns are used liberally here, but it is considered polite here. Like "Excuse me, get off the road or you might get hit." And I have never seen any ill intentions towards cyclists or pedestrians.

Cars are reckless as hell as well. In many instances the car has gotten to heart-leaping-in-throat distance of a car in front of us because of some idiotic thing that driver has done. Add in the fact that with a car laden full of chiponde the momentum is much greater. And to actually get anywhere in Malawi It is very neccesary to be agressive, because there are no stoplights, and if you dont agressively take a spot, you will never move forward. However, there if you don't excercize caution you might get yourself killed. Hence why Malawian roads scare the shit out of me, and I walk as much as possible.

On the other hand, the drivers are nothing if not courteous. In one instance I saw an entire intersection come to a halt so a learner driver could pass. (Learner drivers have a big L on the top of the car.) So in driving, as in most things, Malawians are kind. Very complicated concept I know. But it's a very complicated place.

Oh and to answer your new question Ulf, I don't know what version, but after a long time thinking I think I'm going to leave it as it is so that I can't be said to have messed it up more.

4 comments:

mediumbill said...

Drive home with only an emergency Brake,

Getting tested for malaria,

Reckless driving,

What are you trying to do to me?

-dad

Anonymous said...

Wondering: what are the class divisions like exactly? Is the situation like either you're well-off (owning something like a bike) or dirt poor? Are there a significantly larger number of the poor in comparison to the higher class? Are there many jobs which would denote a higher class/ anything other than farming (I guess there are the restaurants you go to)? Where do white people fit into the picture? Are there many white Africans in Malawi or are most whites the volunteer/doctor type? You're AboutMalawi posts have made me very interested in the whole situation surrounding you. And in comparison to the people you're working with, the lady Mitsue had some pictures of a wedding with everyone in nice suits and dresses- made me wonder how much of a contrast you've seen. *insert homebaked chocolate chip cookie, here* = virtual representation of a hug so as to avoid more bruises ;) LOVE boo

Anonymous said...

The driving sounds like our experience in the Dominican Republic--where a traffic light was just a suggestion to slow down and honk--a lot! And to think all the time you spent at home learning to drive "defensively" when you could have gone over and just driven!!!

Love Boo's questions; I'll be anxious to read your replies.

SO GOOD talking to you on Sunday. I was picturing you with a beard so was anxious to get a status report on that issue.

Sending you "air Skittles."
LOL, Aunt Jo

Chris said...

So car accidents are pretty common over there? That sounds like the kind of place I need to be.