Friday, October 24, 2008

Never a dull moment...

Haha, the last few days have been jam packed, where shall I begin...?

Tuesday night I started reading Robert Heinlen's Stranger in a Strange Land. A fantastic book, truly a sci-fi classic, but don't read it if you're a prude, seriously. You'd find the second half terrible. Anyway, I spent the next two days fanatically reading it, trying to put it down, failing, and then fanatically reading it again. I finished it with this thought; there is a big difference between tru sci-fi and books that have aliens and spaceships.

Anyway, just keep in mind that that was always in the background on Wednesday and Thursday.

Wedesday was boring at the begining. Whatever I named the nurse on stool study was off being a witness in her court case, prosecuting a boy who stole from her. So me 'n him got to do the stool study. And the poop collection. Wasn't actually that bad, as very young baby poo doesn't stink THAT bad. But there were no new kids. Two poopers. Nothing to do. Since Leslie was doing defaulter runs I stayed behind and read. We didn't go get drinks as we left late. Eventually we got to Namandanje.

At Namadanje I read for a while but eventually Leslie interupted me and asked if I wanted to go for a walk. So I I did. Nice random talk. Bout an hour walk. We passed a huge gravesite though. It was another instance of a humble thing giving the same feel as a ornate one, as the gravesite, with its many wooden crosses, unnamed graves, and three stick gate gave as much, or even more of a somber feel than the ones we have back home.

Food was good. I didn't eat much though. My appetite is almost dead and I only eat because I need to. Not sure why my appetite is gone.

Then we have Thursday, like usual since stool study isn't present on Thursdays, I helped one of the Med students. Joy (male) this time. Long day, with me standing the whole time. Not much fun. But it really isn;t supposed to be. Depressing thing happened after clinic. There was this mom, with a kid who was not gaining weight, and looked skin and bones. I really can't express to you how bad these kids look, skin and bones isthe closest I can get. We wanted to take the kid to the hospital, but the gogo (grandma) of the mom would not allow it. Joy tried to convince her in the best Chichewa that he could muster that the baby needed to go to the hospital. The grandma would have none of it, and would keep making excuses no matter what Joy said. The mom had started sobbing during this. Eventually she said quietly, but loudly enough for everyone to hear "I'm going." At this Joy, despite misgivings that if he left (he told me afterwards) went to go get defaulters. He did get two, actually. One of which the entire village gathered round, and while watching the baby being fed agreed to keep the chiponde away from the father, who was eating it. However, while Joy was gone, and I was in the market as well, the Gogo asked/told the mom to get food from the market. While she was gone, the gogo said she needed to go to the bathroom, and while noone was looking ran off with the baby. Later, the HSA's told us, You know who's eating the chiponde? Gogo. If you can tell me, after hearing that, that some people aren't better off dead, I'm suprised at your idealism.

Anyway, we got back on Thursday and foud out one of our trucks got stolen from. Victor may or may not have left the door unlocked. I hope he did, because its a bigger problem if someone can pick locks. Anyway, the guards we have presently may or may not be all fired soon. Its unsure, and out of my hands. (The landlord runs things here.)

Friday. Normal stool study day. When I got home I put in 25 data cards. I hope to get 25 more in, though I may burn out. Also, we have a chiponde problem. We have run out of a material used to make the 10% milk formula. We have enough 10% to last two months at least, but we may have to pause enrollments until we get more. *shrugs* You roll with the punches.

Anyhow, heres your responce Aggie, I know its late but I couldn't bear to answer such a question quickly, that would be bastardizing all the time I spent thinking about it over the years.

So here is the question/comment.

Some say that the earth, the universe, everything physical and tangible is but a cosmic accident. So...following that logic...limes, lemons, herb plants, are an accident? Hmmmm. The last 10 times I have sliced a lime and enjoyed the fragrance of it... and used it to enhance the flavor of my food...well, I just can't bring myself to believe that that lime grew by a sheer accident of nature.

Well this is a complex question, and at the risk of being considered a "contemplator" as Liz put it, I'm going to answer it as completely as I am able. Note: This is a much larger, much more public insight into the way my mind works than I have ever expressed before. If you don't want to see that stop reading. Second, my dad has a phrase I love to quote, "No ones faith should be so weak you can't poke it with a stick." I adapt that to No ones faith should be so weak you can't light dynamite underneath it, but for the sake of a completely public audience, I'm toning it down to my dad's. So, if you feel insecure in your faith, or take offence when people question it, don't read what follows. Last thing, what I am going to write is the result of over eight years of constant questioning, pondering, and long philosophical talks in the car, not the result of me being in Africa.

Last Last thing. I am very bad at articulating my most important ideas, so this is not my complete philosophy, and I will probably forget, or leave out, a lot. If you want to debate with me when I get back, I'd be glad to, philosophical debating is one of my favorite pastimes, but few people like to indulge me.

So let me start with my issues with organized religion, as that is usually what people refer to when they try to refute "accidents of nature." To start off with...well damn I don't know where to start. Lets see...I guess anything is as good a starting point as any other. In my mind, religion is man made. In essence, it is very much the way Terry Pratchett describes gods in his novel Small Gods. Gods, and religion being created, and given shape by their constituency. What I mean is that people run around questioning, "Why am I here, How did I get here, "Where am I going?" and they come up with answers based off of their culture. This is supported by the fact that religions have a texture based off the area they were founded in. For example, Islam, Judaism, and Christianity, despite their differences, all support the "Same" god, and have many of the same precepts such as worship of said god. The eastern religions are of a completely different flavor however. Taoism and Confucianism, for example, have a much heavier basis on philosophy, and though each has a deity of sorts, I have not yet read in either the Analects or the Tao Te Ching a command to "worship." Native Americans tended to worship nature. Etc. There are cultural tendencies to religions, and if religion is something man-made, that kinda defeats the purpose.

But lets assume for a minute, for the sake of argument, that someone is right, for whatever reason, and there is a god, or gods. Each is mutually exclusive, and most have some way of condemning everyone who doesn't follow their exact set of precepts, and rewarding those that do. A hell if you will. A concept I find particularly repulsive, because it means that your reason for doing good things should be either a fear of punishment, or a desire to get something. Or both. Neither concept sits well with me personally, but I prefer everyone else have it that way, because my faith in the natural good (and evil) of man is nill. But I digress. So how should one choose the "one true" religion? By works of god? Tough nuts. All the miracles conveniently ended before each individual religion's scriptures were written. The faith most religions demand you have? Faith? It seems like an exceedingly ineffiecient system to run a universe on. What about the people who never heard of your religion, are they screwed? Couldn't the one true religion be one crushed over the ravages of time? To quote the book I just read. "Is there any basis for preffering one hypothesis over another? When you understand nothing? No!"

Note that I witheld all judgements on relgions themselves, all I did was question how one is to decide the "right" one.

So anyhow, I have some of my own theories. All of them as valid as any of yours. Couldn't the "big bang" have been god, an unimaginable mass of energy, exploding himself into the universe, so we all are god? What if all the gods were the same, and he was just putting on as many faces as a man may? (Father, son, brother, employee, boss, lover, friend, etc.) What if there are indeed many gods? What does it matter?

Anyway, to answer your intial question, Yes random chance could bring about such an accident of nature. For the simple reason that limes, lemons, herb plants, are good for us. So naturally they grew, and we grew to like them, becuase they were benificial. You might as well ask, "how could weeds grow as a sheer accident of nature, they are so damnable annoying, it couldn't be a coincidence." Or "Mosquitos always seem tobe just out to get me, that couldn't be an accident." It just so happens that lemons and limes nice, and mosquitos and weeds are indisputable irritating, because lemons and limes are good for us and weeds and mosquitos (mosquitos especcialy) are not. I have absolute faith (haha) in natural selection as a way to generate a world as complex as ours.

However, why is there matter anyway? Why are there natural laws such as gravity, magnetism, and physics? Why is any of this here? No matter where you look, you will eventually find a glaring question. "Why?" The answer: I don't know. It's almost inconceivable that anything could exist on its own, as a random chance, that it would randomly generate a world like this. However, should you answer with god, where did he come from? Etc. No matter where you look, or how far you think it out. So let it go, I'll never know. And I'll never have the answer. But here are my possible answers to Why, how, and where are we going.

Why are we here? This question is irrelevent to me. Why am I here? A huge accident? A gigantic complex plan? What does it matter? Do we really need to blow ourselves up by saying we are here for an ineffable purpose? I will live the best I can, doing everything as I think is best, and try to make the most of my life, and that's all I need.

How did we get to be here? Again, why does it matter? We are here now, do we really need to know how? The big bang makes scientific sense in many ways, but it doesn't explain what triggered it. Whup de freaking do. There are so many things you could do while trying to figure out how we got to be here. Like live your life for one.

Where do we go when we die? Ahahaha. I have a very depressing answer for this one. When we die, the collection of amino acids and proteins that make us up decompose, and we are gone. Forever. Poof. Thats it. Oblivion. Except oblivion implies you still have a conciousness. And that is to me, what seems the most likely. What do I hope? Well I hope there is a god, and he has a good sense of humor, and isn't as freaking anal about little details as most officials in every religion seem to think, and he would welcome me to some kind of afterlife. My personal favorite afterlife I've though up is one where everyone goes into categories based on who they are. Rapists, murderers in their ilk go into one, where the can indulge themselves on each other forever. Everyone else who is too uptight and knows whats right, and insists on shoving it down everyone else's throat can go into one place, and indulge themselves on each other. And everyone else can go into one place and be happy. Oversimplified but I find it amusing.

Truth is though that while it makes me laugh, I'll never know the truth, so why dwell on it too much? If god is kind and judges people on who they are, and how tyhey lived, maybe I'll be in luck? If not and hes an anal son of a gun, I'd never be able to stomach worshiping him anyway. If god doesn't exist, or this life is all we have, its a moot point anyway right? So just go out, live, and be happy is my response.

Quite a respose for a small comment right?

TTYL
---He who has been thinking about that for way too long

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Billy. One day when you're back, we're definitely having a philosophical discussion or debate of some sort. As long as its not in the bookstore where we could potentially offend just about everyone between us.

All I'll say for now is this.(and I'm pretty sure you know basically what I believe).

First of all we agree on some things. We agree that this (meaning existance) is not an accident. And I think that "No ones faith should be so weak you can't light dynamite underneath it" is quite possibly one of the best things I've heard in a long time.

Where we split is that "faith is an inefficient system to run on". Or maybe we don't. The fact that it seems so inefficient is what makes it faith, really. The fact that it seems so untrustworthy is the dynamite being lit under it. If it were easy, it wouldn't be faith. And it wouldn't be a challenge. Because honestly...I can't know for sure that what I believe is right. Nobody can. You're right about that.

Oh, and whoever told you/insinuated God is anal retentive...I would love to smack them in the face. Just enough to knock some sense into them. =]There ARE more of us out there than the "religious officials" you reference want you to believe. But, in a way, can you blame them? Faith is HARD (as stated above). As humans, we WANT to put things in boxes, where we can say "I'm right, you're wrong, you-good job, you-you're going to hell." And that attitude is one of many ways that faith can be metaphorically hit by dynamite. It's reverting back to what people are comfortable with as human beings. A lot of people that say things like that started out (or even still have) the best intentions. And this isn't to say my faith is perfect or even better...it's just tested in different ways (which as I said can be discussed elsewhere) The shatterproof kind of faith is really an unreachable (so far) goal...but at risk of this going in a circle (because you're not the only one with problems articulating such thoughts), it takes yet more faith to believe that it can and will one day be attained. =]

Sorry this was longer than I'd planned it to be...Hope it wasn't obxonious/offensive/what have you...

Unknown said...

Also, glad to hear you're still doing awesome and do not have malaria...like I said somewhere else, it's been a while since I got to read this. =]

Malawi Mom said...

Wow. Billy & Rita, you have put quite a lot out there. Billy, with the reading you're currently doing, you're much more conversant on other religions than I am, since I've never had a comparative religions class or done the type of reading that you're doing. I have always had a sense, though, that it really doesn't matter what religion you are as much as it matters how you live your life. I hold close words from the Letter of James:

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you? If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill," and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that? So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.

But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith.


I still struggle with what I believe. I know I always feel a visceral discomfort when people talk about being "blessed by God." That God specifically gave them the good things in their life … because the converse of that idea has to be that God specifically abandoned the people in this world who are not living a blessed life. I can't accept that.

And, as I've always told you, I don't think there is ONE RIGHT religion. I think it is utter hubris for any person to think they have a handle on exactly what the Almighty thinks or wants. The way I used to explain this to you when you were little was to describe my relationships with those around me. I told you that you called me Mommy (you were LITTLE at the time!), my dad called me Princess Ann, Aunt Mary Jo called me Little Sister, your dad called me Ann, some friends called me Annie. I had very different relationships with all those people. Yet I was the same person. That is what I think religion is like. Remember your great grandmother's sage comment: There are many doors to Heaven. Who told you that yours is the front door? I always loved that line.

I do believe there is a God and I believe that God relates to people in the way that they can. We're the limited beings, not God. It's absurd to think I can relate to various people in different ways yet God cannot. Religious institutions are clearly man made – that doesn't have to mean that God is man made.

I know you won't particularly like this comment but I think you are living a very Christian life right now. You may not have the faith, but you sure have the works.

When dad & I got married, Fr. Howarth gave what I thought was a wonderful sermon. One of the things I felt strongly about getting married was that dad and I should be a better, more positive force in the world together than we could be apart. To me, that was a defining part of the sacrament of marriage. And, in his sermon, Fr. Howarth talked about a church in Dresden that was bombed during WWII. After the war, they refurbished the church. One of the statues was of Jesus with his arms stretched out before him. And in the bombings, his hands were blown off. Rather than fixing the statue, the priest had a sign made for the statue that said: You are his hands now.

So, I guess what I'm saying, Billy, is keep reading. Keep exploring. I hope that eventually you find a spiritual life that is a good fit for you. But keep living the way you are.

Mom

Malawi Mom said...

And, Rita, you make very interesting points about faith. I agree with you that it's hard. I think the only "shatterproof" faith is an unthinking / unquestioning / childlike one. I think mature faith is always a struggle.

Malawi Mom said...

And one more thing ... you hafta write a post tomorrow or you owe a buncha people some favors!

Momlet

Anonymous said...

No constructive comments but I'd like to note that I'm here with my ears perked... these are the kinds of things I've only just recently started thinking about. My best wishes for your health/well-being! LOVE boo

mediumbill said...

Wow man… heavy.

A couple of small comments, about my statement about poking sticks at one faith: I was saying your “faith” should never be so fix that it can’t evolve or so stubborn that you don’t explore. All “truths” should be poked at once an awhile.


I am glad you are taking this journey, both physically and spiritually. You are seeing a lot of scary stuff. My guess is that you will see much more depressing things before you come home. But also try to look for positive things. You are working for an organization that is trying to improve things. You are making a positive difference. Big or small, you are making a difference. Record both.

Fr. Daley tells us the Sunday Church Services are very different. Before you come home, try to attending one. My guess it is something like our Hawaii Easter service we attended.

R. Heinlein was a very good sci-fi writer. I read many of his books. One of my favorite quotes of his:
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.”
-Robert A. Heinlein

Anonymous said...

Ha! Contemplator! You know that this is why people go to college, right? So they'll have access to a bunch of people who want to "BS" (couldn't resist) into the wee hours?

Anyway, I guess it was maybe not WHY I went to college, but certainly one of the most engaging parts. And it's true that as we get older (it's that over-40 set weighing in all over the place), many people simply stop having those discussions and pondering those questions. But you don't have to.

Your mother has this great thing to say about the power of marriage: "One of the things I felt strongly about getting married was that dad and I should be a better, more positive force in the world together than we could be apart." And certainly that's the upside of human organizations, whether they are pairs, like your parents or Richard and me; families; your gang in Malawi; faith groups; or heck, surely there's some branch of government somewhere (maybe Sweden?) that's demonstrating this power. Unfortunately, when you get a big group of humans together they can develop annoying tendencies toward arrogance and grandiosity and they need people to come along and prick them with pins (or dynamite is a favorite metaphor component around here, it seems). So keep it up, and remember to notice the good that's being accomplished by those same faulty humans. Take care.

Malawi Mom said...

It's officially Sunday in Malawi now. Let it be duly noted that you owe one favor to everyone who posted comments this week. You only blogged three times in the week.

Bwaaahahaaaaa!!!