Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Long Hiatus explained

Yeah I know its been a while...but I can explain...not excuse but explain...On...Friday was it...? I forgot to post. It was a freaking long ass day. We got home are 8ish. BLEEEEH!!! Then I didn't want to post on an off day. And then we went to Macky's on Saturday, and we ended up going to bed later than usual. And finally yesterday I spent too long on an excel spreadsheet. I wouldn't have been able to post today because there was no power, except it came back on. Woot!

So lets start the five day dissertation.

Friday was uneventful. To start with. We drove a long, long way to site ____. (Can't remember the name) And it was pretty boring for a while. Lots and Lots and LOTS of people, but pretty boring. Just the usual watching Gerald, but I stopped being super vigilant. I just watched for a couple things I thought he might mix up. But he did very good that day.

Until Leslie and a couple HSA's left on a huge defaulter run. Now they left around 4ish, which is the time we normally leave for home. While waiting I exhausted my conversation with the nurses who had been left behind with me. Listened to a bunch of music. Climbed a tree and tried to knock down all the dead branches. (Yeah I was THAT bored.)

Eventually I got so bored that I climbed the other tree I had been hesitant to climb before, the one that is ant infested. Granted I did check that they weren't fire ants, but still. I then listened to music for half an hour. Then a bunch of kids who had been staring at me all crowded around the base of the tree. I said hi and gave the biggest kid a handshake. And he proceeded to try to frag me out of the tree. Or so I initially thought. Actually he was just using me to get a boost into the tree. In less that 15 seconds in fact, all eight of the kids had clambered up into the tree and were all nicely situated. It was freaking crazy. So I amused myself by talking to them for half an hour, even though only one could speak English. Facts about them. There was one 17 year old, and the rest were 10-12. One of the twelve years was Majjed, (not sure how to spell) one other 10-12 was Akhmed, a really shy one I had to ask 4 times was named Rajjed (again, not sure) and the 17 year's name started with a "E." So yeah, eventually Leslie got back and we left for home at 6. Got back at 8. That, for your information, is a 15 hour day. LONG. ASS. DAY. As stated earlier. And I collapsed when I got home.

So then the next day. Saturday follows friday right? Weeeeeell. I forget. I know at some point we watched Palin's debate. (M! C! C! A! I! N! GOOOOOO MCCAIN! is my impression of her. Oh, and she talks down to americans too obviously, so we KNOW she's bsing us, wheras Biden was only obvious once. And she needs to learn to answer questions.) Aaaaand we went to Macky's. And I wrote a biggie excel file. Or most of it. N stuff. Its all very vague.

On sunday we picked up an old volunteer here name I forget every time...Katie for something (this time I really cant remember) and we said hi n stuff. We might have done somethign else. But I cant remember. We went to Macky's again though. And I got back late. Hence no post.

Monday was another normal day, except this time I was with stool study. Meaning we sat around for a while waiting for some babys to poop. I can't really say I do much though, since Victor and whatever I named the nurse which I am too lazy to look up now always do everything. I'm running around trying to find something to do! (And for your info, that one time I slept for two hours NOONE was working. We were all waiting for one...last...pooper...to go...) So we were waiting for 3 more poopers that day when Victor goaded me into climbing yet another tree. When I got up there, I wasnt exactly sure how I was gonna get down, so to stall for time, I asked for a stick and started knocking mangoes down. (I was told later "Bad Billy! Not our mangoes!) After I got down Victor went up and knocked some more down. We both were bad =P

And we went home, ate, and I spent to rest of the day finishing the spreadsheet so we could sent it to Dr Manary (its a "beta" sheet) and it was too late. Seriously, between sleep and a post there is no hard choice.

So. Today. Woke up early. Went to site. No defautlers to find. Lots of cute babiez, got some pics actually, hehe they so adorable.

We got home very early, and Leslie and I went to run some errands. And I really have no idea what Dr Manary thought of the spreadsheet. He responded in what Leslie called "word salad" and it took us a couple minutes to make head or tail of it. I think he means that the new person coming is gonna tell us. Whaaaaateveeeer! Just let me know what needs to go! (I did the shotgun method, putting everything I thought he could possibly want, so all he can tell me is to get rid of stuff.)

Oh and the power was out for most of today, so we had no food made for us. *boo hoo* I went for pizza with joy. (male) And here I am frantically trying to to to bed.

TTYL
---He who should have been in bed 2 hours ago

8 comments:

mediumbill said...

You are just like your mother... You two are missing the part of the brain that tells oneself "its late, I should go to bed, since I have to wake up early tomorrow".

BTW. Mrs Manary sent us an email saying good things about you. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hey Billy, your mom asked me to check out your epiphany, which I finally had time to read and digest today. You are clearly grounded in what is important and what is not. Here's what I would ask you to comtemplate next: Some say that the earth, the universe, everything physical and tangible is but a cosmic accident. So...following that logic...limes, lemons, herb plants, are an accident? Hmmmm. The last 10 times I have sliced a lime and enjoyed the fragrance of it... and used it to enhance the flavor of my food...well, I just can't bring myself to believe that that lime grew by a sheer accident of nature.

Whenever possible, please do keep it coming! I'm thoroughly enjoying every word you write!

Much love from your Pittsburgh cousins,

Aggie & company (Steve, Stephen & Dan)

Anonymous said...

Bill, how's the weather--has the rainy season started yet??

Also, I'm wondering if you're starting to spend some "serious" time learning the local language??
You have an ear for language and think it'd be so cool to give it a try.

Starting to be real fall-like here. Steelers continue to win--hooray!!!

LOL, Aunt Jo

Anonymous said...

Enjoying the posts.

I just wanted to add the to comment about the cosmic importance of limes,... they go best when used to enhance the taste of tequila. ...Just a reminder to enjoy the ride. Algeria is in the moment and often fleeting.

I could expand on your “pain” story (which is why psychology is my “thing” today). When you return we will pour a pitcher of margaritas and “share.”

Some light relevant reading … Plato’s “the cave” (I am sure wikipedia does it justice, no need to find the original) and the Tao of Pooh.

Keep on posting, we are watching!

-A.Pam

Malawi Mom said...

Pamela!

I don't know that I approve of this concept of my 19 year old (when he gets home!) sharing a PITCHER of margaritas! I take that back – he'll stil be 18!!

Bad influence, Aunt Pam! Bad influence! :)

The Momlet

Anonymous said...

Here I am Billy!!! I just got through reading all your entries + comments on many of them though I guess you likely won't have time to read it. Just want to let you know that I'm on board now- sorry it look so long! What you're doing is absolutely amazing and inspiring and I'm very glad to know more about PPB. Your entries are also spectacular! *HUGE hugs and warm wishes for restful sleep* LOVE boo

Anonymous said...

Hi Billy,

I work with your mom and am one of her movie night friends - how are we going to watch a movie if she can't call to ask how to get everything to work?

Ann, the only problem with the margaritas is they didn't mention sharing with you :) - as long as he's not driving after the pitcher.

I've read all your previous posts and have enjoyed them all. More young (and old) people need to have similar ephanies and they'd finally be happier.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your experiences while you're there. Most of which I'll hear from your mom at work first. (she who doesn't cry - ha!)

Jane B.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill
I am real proud of what you are doing. Good Job. This has been some of the best reading I've done in a while. If you need anything please let us know.

-John
-Barbarann
-Raeleen
-Gaeli