Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Lazy day, Sick Sick Sick...

Ok this mac is giving me trouble...I'm gonna fix this post tomorrow, but now whenever I try to copy-paste my post it just goes below the page. I mean, blog entry post, little blue line, all my text. And when I publish with it there, nothing gets posted. Anyway, if you see this, sorry , but I don't have the energy to retype the whole thing.

I really need to learn how to slash through stuff no longer pertinent, anyone got a clue?

Today had been quite a lazy day. Joy (Male) and I have been up for a while, me for about 6 more hours than he, and we haven’t really done much productive work all day. Granted I’ve been trying to learn Access for the last hour, but I don’t count no progress as ‘productive work.’ Access is just confusing, and the manual she brought on the CD was junk. I mean, it has lots of great details and whatnot, but it sucks terribly as a tutorial. Thanks SO MUCH Mom for telling Hannah to NOT bring an access manual. Urgh. Anyway, the reason jay and I are stuck here instead of being out in the field is because we’re both recovering from sickness.

I got sick two weeks ago. It progressed from runny nose to sneezing to coughing to wheezing and all the way back to runny nose over two or three days. Then it stayed at runny nose, with occasional recurrences of coughing. Then Joy caught my sickness, and he’s been getting worse and worse until yesterday he broke out in a high fever, shortly after I was sent home early for having a high fever. Also, I have been having a recurrence of the dehydration type lightheadedness. If you recall, in a post about a month ago I talked about how I got so dizzy I couldn’t even stand? Well it never really went away. I have had very small bouts of dizziness every time I stand up since. I mean very small. But last Monday it started coming back heavily. So I made sure to eat and drink lots and tried to stave it off, but on Tuesday it got so bad I had to lay down, and I broke out in a fever so high even I could feel I had one. Or maybe the fever was the cause of the dizziness as well? Who knows? Who cares? All I know is that I’m running a very small fever now (.2 degrees) and I’m feeling loads better. And YES dad, I’m drinking lots of water.

Now because I’ve been kinda out of it the last few days, I cant supply any more for a normal post, so here’s a little more about MARAWI!!!

Malawians have a very interesting language. In Chichewa, all words, ALL words, end in vowels. This has caused me to be named by Malawians who can’t speak any English, Bilo. Kinda funny, at the Adventist hospital I got written in as Bilo Sharp. Hah. Also, there are very, very standardized greetings here. (Note: There are no spaces between some words because no pause is pronounced.) When you meet someone you say, “Muli Bwanji?” (Mu = You, Li = are, Bwanji = How) To which one responds, and I have suspicions that this would be the response even if your mother died, “Ndiri Bwino, Kayainu?” (Ndi = I, ri = is, Bwino = Fine, Kaya = and, Inu = You) To which one responds, you guessed it, “Ndiri Bwino.” I actually like to add Kayainu to the end of the second one, just to see if I can get a volley going. Now at this point some of the more observant ones of you are going, wait, Li and Ri are the same word, WTF? This ties in to how you pronounce Chichewa, where most L’s and R’s are interchangeable. I can’t articulate what it sounds like over the blog, but if you can try to merge an L sound with an R, that’s how most of the words here are pronounced. Malawi is an exception, the L is distinct, but Leslie likes to call it MARAWI anyway. (Yes it is caps for a reason. I can’t articulate how she sounds when she says is but it’s pretty funny, and caps is the closest I can get.) Moving on, if its early morning instead of, “Muli Bwanji,” one says “Mwadzuka Bwanji?” (Mwa = You, dzuka = rise, bwino = h…oh wait I already told you that one didn’t I?) And the response is, “Ndadzuka Bwino, Kayainu?” (Nda = We) I won’t insult your intelligence by supplying you with the second response. Now I’m sure that was shell shockingly different than the last one right? But it gets better. If it’s in the evening you say, “Mwaswela Bwanji?” (Swela = play.) Replace Mwa with Nda and I’m sure you can figure the responses out on your own; you’re big boys and girls right? So that is the entirety of the Malawian greetings. How are you, how did you rise (I think this one means did you sleep well), and how did you play (I theorize, going out on a limb here, it means did you have an enjoyable day). But should you ask a Malawian to describe Mwadzuka, they would just say, it’s the morning greeting. The meaning isn’t even important anymore. Which is why many Malawians have dropped the Bwino and Bwanji in the morning and evening greetings. “Mwadzuka?” “Ndadzuka, Kayainu?” “Ndadzuka.” In case you were wondering this equates to “You rise?” “We rise, and you?” “We rise.” Doesn’t make much sense, but I do find it REALLY amusing that if one were to go to say, a Malwian party, and greet all the guests you would (probably) use the same one every time. Isn’t that something? Thats it. Three standardized greetings. Anyone who even casually knows me knows that is EXCRUTIATING for a smartass like myself. I can't say, ARGH I'm doing terribly! Or anything else. The Malawians would just stare at you! So. Frustrating.

I don’t know much more Chichewa…both the Chichewa books are in someone else’s possession at the moment, so for now…


TTYL

---He who is glad the world has decided which way is up…again…

13 comments:

Kellye B. said...

lazy bum

Kellye B. said...

well i just read the revised version of this post so i take back what i said. i hope you feel better!!! (being sick sucks)

Anonymous said...

Malawi gets more fascinating by the minute! Wow! Thanks for taking the time to explain the greetings. In stark contrast there are 62 languages spoken in Kenya. My husband Steve can still speak some Swahili. Steve said the young and old in Kenya greeted Steve, "Mzungu! Mzungu!" Which means white man! (Many Kenyans had not seen a caucasian person before Steve arrived in the 1980s.) Steve, being the comedian he is, would reply in Swahili, "African man/boy!"(depending on who Steve was addressing). Steve would always get a big belly laugh with his reply. I can picture Steve's exaggerated look of surprise over seeing an African in Africa. Geez, what a ham! So so sorry to hear you are still sick. I am praying you feel better very soon. I look forward to reading your stuff every day now, Billy. Keep it comin'! Oh, yeah, almost forgot...my stepson, Stephen, taught Microsoft Access at LaRoche College last summer. If you can pose a question in this blog for Stephen, I'll copy it and send it to Stephen, and then give you his reply. Presumably, your mom is a better source, though. I've never used Access myself.

Take good care of yourself.

Love, Aggie

Anonymous said...

Bill, If I can learn Access--anyone can! I have faith that you'll be writing queries and wowing all who are willing to be wowed very soon.

Is it raining all the time? Is it getting on your nerves yet?

Love, Aunt Jo

Anonymous said...

I age a year every time I read a new post. I don't think I am going to out live your stay there.

Gad you are feeling better. You passing out is giving me pause. EAT, DRINK, DAM IT!!!! STOP LOOSING WEIGHT!!!

Does your cell phone have a camera? It's pictures maybe small enough for your to post. give it a try.

Keep up the good work. love Dad.

Anonymous said...

*small hug* to help with the cold! You can share w/ "joy"
i hope the fact that its nearly sunday and you haven't posted doesn't mean illness has progressed... wishing hard for your health- as are all those kids i'm sure. Have you missed using your special powers? Hmmm you know how infants consuming only breast milk don't have terribly stinky feces? Since your kids aren't eating hardly at all/mostly peanut butter do they demonstrate the same phenomenon? Regardless of whether that makes any difference I hope you can well/working again soon! LOVE! boo

Anonymous said...

Oh yes and your lesson on Chichewa was very informative/amusing- found your ideas on how the language is developed particularly interesting! <3

Anonymous said...

hopes you're doing alright! <3

Anonymous said...

I also help everything is ok. How about a one-liner, 'hey, i'm ok' for us? Love, Aggie

Malawi Mom said...

Bill, you're killing me here. I'm starting to feel like your worry wart father. Post something to say you're alive!

I am doing well. Did my best last weekend to single-handedly pull the U.S. economy out of recession ... I finally had my all day clothes shopping adventure with Aunt Jo. Let me tell you, she's good at spending other people's money! ;) I also did some Christmas shopping. I was VERY sad when I saw the signs for the Thanksgiving Day sales. It just won't be the same without my book-an-hour shopping buddy.

You will be happy to know that I did send an Access manual to Leslie's friend, who will pass it along. So you should have it in a few weeks. Don't know if your learning method is like mine but I looked at a bunch of books and, for the weight, I liked this one the best. (First time WEIGHT has ever been a factor in my book selection logic!)

OK, enough for now. Post! Post! Post!

Malawi Mom said...

Post, William, post!

Kathleen said...

We miss you, Billy! Come back and talk to us!

Chris said...

Billy! I haven't been able to keep up with your blog the past couple of weeks with school assignments, and exams. I read a few other posts too to catch myself up and read that you were robbed. Billy you should have been guarding the place or something...jeez you are lazy... And don't pretend to be sick. what can you even get sick from in Malawi anyways? Just kidding, just kidding, just kidding. Oh and I read about your car accident way back when you wrote about it, but never got around to posting anything. I was going to make some joke about it but after the accident, being robbed, and now being sick, I think I'll give you a break. Seriously though billy take care of yourself man. oh and why can't they pronounce your name the same like it was spelled billi? <- I want an answer to this question billi.